Today's security environment has become increasingly complex and fault intolerant. Companies rely upon those providing technical support and guidance to provide timely, relevant and appropriate guidance. With legal liability and accountability becoming more prevalent in today's business environment, ensuring that education and training is credible, relevant and well-founded is becoming a key concern. IAMSP has established an approach to assisting those preparing for certifications such as the ASIS International Certified Protection Professional (CPP) and Physical Security Professional (PSP) as well as the (ISC)2 Computer and Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) that takes into account the need for individually-tailored learning that leverages network-enabled technology. These coaching sessions, which can be arranged for small groups or on a one-on-one basis take into account individual learning biases, provide significant resources and do so at highly competitive rates.
This is for courses that require examination for passing. This does not include certification.
The need to secure maritime communications has been recognized by naval and law enforcement forces for decades. The ISPS Code (Part B Section 8.3.5) made this one of the key requirements in Ship Security Assessments and required those conducting these assessments to possess knowledge in the protection of radio and telecommunications systems, including computer systems and networks. The on-scene survey covered in Part B Section 8.14 required the examination of operations and controls to ensure that ship security communications, information and equipment remain available. IAMSP is contributing to the advancement of this work through its participation on international working groups, assisting its members with achieving industry-recognized certification, and providing awareness materials and references on this issue.
IAMSP is proud to announce the second phase of its eLearning and Distance Learning project with the establishment of the directed learning portal. While eLearning portal provides familiarization level training for those within the industry, the directed learning portal provides a forum where significantly advanced courses can be provided.
Utilising internet-enabled technology, the platform will allow for courses that are run over several days to be coordinated and delivered around the world. These courses will include the ability to set a more detailed curriculum, integrate directed readings and research, facilitate discussions through video-conferencing, and conduct online testing. The platform is comparable to those used by community colleges and certain universities and their respective distance learning programs.
Additionally, the system is being established to allow for the facilitated video-conferencing to be recorded, allowing for greater flexibility in recognition of those persons that may not be able to attend each and every session.
Announcements for the first online-course offering will be made to Full, Associate, and Student members shortly. While this is currently available to members only at this time, we are currently working to expand this into the broader maritime security community.
This is the second major gateway in our training and capacity-building project.
The passing of this gateway provides another clear and visible commitment of the Association as the leader in the development of a truly professional maritime security community.
- IAMSP is proud to announce the next phase of its capacity for its members and the maritime industry in general. As of 03 September 2011, codes for IAMSP full and associate members will be available upon request. These codes will give them access to the eLearning portal at no additional cost.
As an international association with a global reach, this eLearning portal will assist IAMSP members around the world by leveraging the internet and modern technology. These programs have undergone critical review by persons considered competent or experts in the areas concerned.
As a result, our members will be able to receive familiarization-level training on a range of topics without the disrupt of travel, time away away from work or additional costs.
This eLearning portal will provide the first IAMSP certificate, focussing on the following elements:
- The Duty of Care
- The theory behind the Use of Force
- An introduction to the structure of maritime legal issues
- An introduction to the various Human Rights conventions applicable in the domain
- How the above are integrated into management
- As noted in several requirements, training associated with these topics is becoming more prevalent and required by the Industry. IAMSP decided as part of its efforts to raise the standards of professionalism within the industry and its core values of providing return on investment to its members, to make these modules available as an integrated element of its full and associate memberships. Further, for those companies that had submitted to or successfully passed the vetting process, these courses will also be made available to those companies permanent employees.These courses will be made publicly availabe in the near future through an eCommerce portal.
- This series of courses was initiated based on IAMSP's commitment to professionalism within the industry. A core element of this professional conduct is adherence to the principles associated with the appropriate protection of Human Rights. As a result, these courses provide a strong basis from which the security practitioner can build a comprehensive understanding of the various elements that integrate with human rights issues.
The eLearning Portal is available at www.elearning.iamsponline.org. Full and Associate members may request their access codes (needed for the free registration) from either the President (amcdougall (at) iamsponline.org) or Secretary-Treasurer (secretary (at) iamsponline.org).
- Each module is followed by a short quiz of randomly selected questions that, should an individual be successful in meeting the requirements to pass, will result in the individual being issued a certificate clearly that he had passed the course. This certificate will also be retained in the individual's electronic profile for the purposes of verification.
- This effort has been the result of a detailed research process and the work of several members of the IAMSP Executive and membership. This collaborative effort on behalf of the Association and the industry is a clear example of how IAMSP is unique in providing credible returns to its members and the industry in general.
- Those interested in joining IAMSP, a truly international, professionally-driven Association for the maritime industry, are invited to visit our webpage at www.iamsponline.org
IAMSP is pleased to announce the release of the second course in the Professional Standards Certificate. Course IAMSP-AWR-001-UOF concentrates on the Use of Force and has been vetted through contacts within the legal, civilian police and military forces as well as security practitioners operating across the Transportation Sector.
As part of its leadership role in building capacity within the maritime security community, IAMSP offers this course (and its testing) to its full and associate members at no additional cost beyond their membership fees. This is part of the IAMSP's commitment to helping its members demonstrate that they meet the evolving requirements in ways that are clearly credible and auditable.
For those interested in this training, we invite you to visit and browse through the website.