IAMSP is proud to announce the second phase of its eLearning and Distance Learning project with the establishment of the directed learning portal. While eLearning portal provides familiarization level training for those within the industry, the directed learning portal provides a forum where significantly advanced courses can be provided.
Utilising internet-enabled technology, the platform will allow for courses that are run over several days to be coordinated and delivered around the world. These courses will include the ability to set a more detailed curriculum, integrate directed readings and research, facilitate discussions through video-conferencing, and conduct online testing. The platform is comparable to those used by community colleges and certain universities and their respective distance learning programs.
Additionally, the system is being established to allow for the facilitated video-conferencing to be recorded, allowing for greater flexibility in recognition of those persons that may not be able to attend each and every session.
Announcements for the first online-course offering will be made to Full, Associate, and Student members shortly. While this is currently available to members only at this time, we are currently working to expand this into the broader maritime security community.
This is the second major gateway in our training and capacity-building project.
The passing of this gateway provides another clear and visible commitment of the Association as the leader in the development of a truly professional maritime security community.
- IAMSP is proud to announce the next phase of its capacity for its members and the maritime industry in general. As of 03 September 2011, codes for IAMSP full and associate members will be available upon request. These codes will give them access to the eLearning portal at no additional cost.
As an international association with a global reach, this eLearning portal will assist IAMSP members around the world by leveraging the internet and modern technology. These programs have undergone critical review by persons considered competent or experts in the areas concerned.
As a result, our members will be able to receive familiarization-level training on a range of topics without the disrupt of travel, time away away from work or additional costs.
This eLearning portal will provide the first IAMSP certificate, focussing on the following elements:
- The Duty of Care
- The theory behind the Use of Force
- An introduction to the structure of maritime legal issues
- An introduction to the various Human Rights conventions applicable in the domain
- How the above are integrated into management
- As noted in several requirements, training associated with these topics is becoming more prevalent and required by the Industry. IAMSP decided as part of its efforts to raise the standards of professionalism within the industry and its core values of providing return on investment to its members, to make these modules available as an integrated element of its full and associate memberships. Further, for those companies that had submitted to or successfully passed the vetting process, these courses will also be made available to those companies permanent employees.These courses will be made publicly availabe in the near future through an eCommerce portal.
- This series of courses was initiated based on IAMSP’s commitment to professionalism within the industry. A core element of this professional conduct is adherence to the principles associated with the appropriate protection of Human Rights. As a result, these courses provide a strong basis from which the security practitioner can build a comprehensive understanding of the various elements that integrate with human rights issues.
The eLearning Portal is available at www.elearning.iamsponline.org. Full and Associate members may request their access codes (needed for the free registration) from either the President (amcdougall (at) iamsponline.org) or Secretary-Treasurer (secretary (at) iamsponline.org).
- Each module is followed by a short quiz of randomly selected questions that, should an individual be successful in meeting the requirements to pass, will result in the individual being issued a certificate clearly that he had passed the course. This certificate will also be retained in the individual’s electronic profile for the purposes of verification.
- This effort has been the result of a detailed research process and the work of several members of the IAMSP Executive and membership. This collaborative effort on behalf of the Association and the industry is a clear example of how IAMSP is unique in providing credible returns to its members and the industry in general.
- Those interested in joining IAMSP, a truly international, professionally-driven Association for the maritime industry, are invited to visit our webpage at www.iamsponline.org
IAMSP is pleased to announce the release of the second course in the Professional Standards Certificate. Course IAMSP-AWR-001-UOF concentrates on the Use of Force and has been vetted through contacts within the legal, civilian police and military forces as well as security practitioners operating across the Transportation Sector.
As part of its leadership role in building capacity within the maritime security community, IAMSP offers this course (and its testing) to its full and associate members at no additional cost beyond their membership fees. This is part of the IAMSP’s commitment to helping its members demonstrate that they meet the evolving requirements in ways that are clearly credible and auditable.
For those interested in this training, we invite you to visit and browse through the website.
Filed under: Announcements, Certification, eLearning, Membership, Public, Training
IAMSP is proud to announce the release of its first online professional development course, available as part of the Full and Associate membership within the Association. This course, the first of four, concentrates on the Duty of Care and is part of a series that is intended to set the baseline for professional conduct in the domain.
This training is intended to meet two critical needs within the industry.
First, IAMSP’s offering allows its Full and Associate members the opportunity, without incurring additional costs, to demonstrate to the industry that they are willing to expand their knowledge and understanding with respect to professional conduct. This serves to meet the industry’s need for a clear, verifiable means of determining the security practitioner’s understanding of key concepts that can be traced back through common and accepted audit processes.
Second, this offering demonstrates IAMSP’s commitment in support of its membership and the shipping industry, providing realistic, cost-effective alternatives to meet the shipping industry’s evolving requirements. As a further expression of good will, IAMSP’s Executive has also taken the decision to allow, assessed on a case-by-case basis, the release of the material to recognized and accredited maritime institutions as a tangible demonstration of our Association’s commitment to building long term solutions to these challenges in return for proper attribution of the work.
IAMSP’s commitment in this regard is to provide the industry, academic institutions, and practitioners with a cost-effective platform by which their members can broaden their knowledge and understanding of the maritime security domain. At the same time, these short courses will also be used as part of the Continuing Education and Upkeep requirements associated with the Certified Maritime Security Professional.